Subject: Questions and comments.
From: "Adam Parrott" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 17:38:37 -0600

Greetings.

Well, here it is Sunday and I haven't checked my mail since Thursday 
evening. Ack! 95 messages! Argh! Nothing get's by anyone around here 
obviously. Oh, btw everyone, this is another digest..

Firstly, when I was answering Mr. Murray's question about why he 
couldn't download .lha files as you can .zip's, Mr. Griffith had 
something to say to my reply (when I said it was the broswer's 
problem in downloading the file):

> It is NOT the browser, it is the SERVER that is sending the document.

Yes yes yes, I KNOW the SERVER is SENDING the file. I never said the 
BROWSER was SENDING the file. What I meant was that most broswers, 
like Netscape or Internet Explorer (for you people out there that use 
your PC for Netting purposes like I do), determine the type of file 
that is coming in from the server using a table of MIME types that 
can be defined. When it encounters a file with a type that it finds 
on that table (or you can call it a "list" if you wish, doesn't 
matter), then it downloads it, views it, or does what it's supposed 
to do with it. If it ever encounters a file type that it is 
unfamiliar with, then it uSUaLLy opens that file as text in the 
browser. That's what I meant.

Now, what I just said applies to browsers that I am familiar with on 
the PC, I've never used an Amiga browser because I don't use my Amiga 
for Netting or browsing, so I don't know much about Amiga browsers.

Mr. Griffith continues..
> Each file sent by a server via http has an informational header. 
> That header indicates the type of file being sent. This is the MIME 
> type. An html file gets a 'text/html', a gif image gets a 
> 'image/gif', and so on. Most servers deduce the type of file by the 
> extention (*.type) and many will default to a type of 'text/plain' 
> for unrecognized extentions. The server tells the browser this is 
> text, so the browser trys to display it.

..blah blah blah..
Like I said, I was referring to most browsers that are use on the PC.

> ..This is the MIME type..
I know what MIME is, and I knew very well what I was talking about.

Sorry if I said anything that sounded remotely offensive in that last 
line there, but this pushed my button. I had to say something..

Now, onto Mr. Owen's inquiry for Aminet URLs:
> Does anyone know the address for the AMinet I've tried to search for
> it several times but to no avail can someone please mail me it???

Mush (Mr. Andy of Kellett) replied:
> There are several addresses. The first being ftp.netnet.net but I 
> use ftp.wustl.edu as it is much faster.

Actually, Netnet's old Aminet server's are gone @ laslo.netnet.net, 
but in it's place you will find their new Aminet mirror @ 
tigris.netnet.net. Try these links for other Aminet mirrors:

The Official Aminet website:   http://www.aminet.org

Mirror sites:
Netnet's mirror in the US:     http://tigris.netnet.net
Wustl's mirror in the US:      http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/~aminet
Livewire's mirror down under:  http://www.livewire.com.au/aminet
Sunsite's mirror in the UK:    http://src.doc.ic.ac.uk/public/aminet/info/www/

I'm sure there are others, but at the moment I don't have time to go 
looking for others. This list should do.

Mr. Marcel Toele commented Amos:
> Yes, I do too think the Amos-Editor is great,
> but I can only be opened on a PAL screen.

Shouldn't that "I" be "it". And if you are referring to the Editor, 
it isn't limited to PAL screens. It opens on NTSC just as it can PAL 
screens as well, too. I couldn't program if it was limited to PAL.

Anyhow, I don't want anyone to forget the grand "re-opening" of my 
website (new pages and everything, like what Mush has been doing, 
only I started back at Christmas). What's been taking me so long is 
I've been trying to decide on a new look for my site. I finally have 
chosen a new look, and I have been creating and rendering all the new 
graphics and coding all the HTML these past few weeks. I assure you 
that it will look good.

*ALSO*.. Make sure you send me ANY links to any AMOS related pages 
you have so I can put them up on my site. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. If 
you want any sites linked from my site, PLEASE send them to me 
withing the end of this week. If I recieve any links after this 
Friday, I will still put them up, but you'll have to wait until I 
update my pages again, which may be a couple weeks or so.

For those of you who are wondering about The Cafe Project (my 3D 
engine, remember), it IS coming along, nearly upto Wolfenstein 
already, and I hope to take it farther (maybe to the level of Doom or 
Duke Nukem, perhaps, if I can get a nice BSP algorithm written :) The 
Cafe Project WILL officially become a Team project when my web pages 
are finished (all the info for helping and testing will be put up), 
and you'll be able to sign up for beta testing my game, Eventuator, 
when I finished a beta of the engine and whip up a beta of the game.

Hope I haven't kept anyone reading this to long, thanks again.

Long live the Amiga!

         ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____
        ||P |||a |||r |||r |||o |||t |||t |||s |||o |||f |||t ||
        ||__|||__|||__|||__|||__|||__|||__|||__|||__|||__|||__||
        |/__\|/__\|/__\|/__\|/__\|/__\|/__\|/__\|/__\|/__\|/__\|

                               Adam Parrott
                    General Manager and Lead Programmer

                     http://www.parrottsoft.base.org
                    http://www.parrottsoft.home.ml.org
           http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/6116

                     mailto: [email-masked]

         ______________________________________________________

             At Parrottsoft, we specialize in Amiga software,
         using Amos and the latest Graphics and Sound software. 

           Our current project: A 3D gaming engine similar to 
         Build and leaner than Quake. Check out the Parrottsoft 
                       website for more details!

                        Now there's an idea. (r)